Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Seasons of Change

I was 3 years into my future life when I decided to cross thru the forest to another path.  

College gives you lots of choices and very little help in decision making.  After 3 years of intense study of kinesiology (basically the study of human movement) and coaching management, I decided to start over with my first love, Art - more specifically the art of storytelling thru film/video.  So 3 1/2 years later i gathered that diploma and began my journey into the world of video.
What a ride!
It has taken me all over the world, meeting fascinating people, being a part of incredible adventures, and creating/telling such a variety of stories thru video.  I've loved it, hated it, but mostly thankful for it.

And yet, I always wondered if I had continued my studies of coaching and acquired that diploma, what kind of coach I could have been.

Its funny how life can throw the ball in your court, step back and say "bring it!".

And that's what happened when my former high school basketball coach approached me 2 seasons ago.
"Me? You want me to volunteer to coach the 7th/8th grade girls basketball? Well, um (pause to collect the spinning of my head, and then the answer was falling from my face before the carousel brain ride had come to a complete halt) OK!". The ride home that evening produced a tug-o-war thought between "this is so cool" and "what an idiot I am".
So a few weeks later began the tryouts and practice.
Thankfully my sister agreed to assist me (thinking this the best plan of action since we grew up playing together and were fierce on the courts! Of course that was almost 30 years ago! ).
I won't go into a full 2 season Howard Cosell commentary on the games, but just a quick postgame wrap-up.
My sister and I were winging it most of the time. seriously. But we gave all we had to the team.  The girls came with a great desire for the game, a willingness to learn, a determination to improve, and the heart to win.  They taught me a great deal about leadership, motherhood, friendship, counseling, listening, and fun.  A friend recently reminded me that this time I've had with these teams was an opportunity for me to be a mentor in several areas, especially spiritually.  That's not what I usually think of during practice while blowing the whistle so loud I could easily have hearing loss, or during a game when I'm yelling a play from the bench or wanting to pinch off the head of the referee (believe it or not, I never got a technical called on me). But that passing reminder of mentoring stopped me in my tracks, mentally threw me to my knees and I intensely began to pray that I have been a keeper of the flame before these girls.  And also, one who humbly passes the torch on to them.

Oh yeah, our record? Well the first season we broke the school record and ended with a 17-6 win/loss and runner-up in the championship tournament! Our second season, again we broke a school record and were ranked #2 in the County! Not bad at all. I give the credit to the girls. They taught me and I am thankful.
And for 2 seasons (which I'm sure will soon be forgotten by the general public, but long remembered by me) I had the opportunity to reach a goal and with honor to be called "Coach Leigh".

No comments:

Post a Comment